Tuesday, February 28, 2012

is this work?

One of the things I get to spend time on in my writerly pursuits is working with my longtime-friend, fellow-blogger and sometimes-editor, Meredith Lane. She's always sending me out on assignment to talk with the coolest people. People I end up admiring by the end of our too-short times, people with interesting stories and brave pursuits and lots of joie de vivre. People I always wish were my friends...sometimes I get my wish. 

Nathan & Maggie Mick (see page 30), for example. I had the blastiest of blasts with them at their home in Lancaster last year (even though it was an hour each way to get there in a torrential downpour!), where they served up a dinner (so above and beyond for a meeting with a writer) of Garrard-county specialties and some fun stories. Now Nathan is running for state representative. So exciting - good luck Nathan! 


Stella's Kentucky Deli

And then this morning I met with Les Miller and Aumaine Mott of Stella's Kentucky Deli and Al's Bar (and a bunch of other things, actually) for a profile that will be published in the Spring issue of BG Magazine. I left that little get-together with a hankering for my favorite Stella's meal (Fried Green Tomato BLT) and a side of Al's (Hand-Cut Sweet Potato Fries), as well as a total crush on this sweet, enterprising, community-oriented couple. 


Is this work? Come on. Life is too sweet.

1 comment: